Do It Yourself fundraising is an exciting way for you to make an impact and help the Folds of Honor Foundation meet our mission by raising funds, your way. Hosting your own fundraiser can be as simple as having a yard sale or as exciting as hosting a concert, golf tournament or
other big event. The options are endless. The key is to find an event or activity that you are passionate about and that you think your friends, family and colleagues will support.
- What type of fundraiser can I create?
- The more unique, the better! Try to find a fundraising event type that will not directly compete with other successful and long-standing benefit events in your area. Here’s some suggestions to get started:
- Sports - Participate in a Cycle, Triathlon or 5K, host a tournament
- Birthdays - Donate your birthday to the cause and ask for donations
- Special Occasions – include your special occasion like a
wedding or baby shower and collect donations
- Holidays– Ask for donations in lieu of gifts
- Parties– Bring your friends and family together for the cause. You can host a casino
night, happy hour, pancake breakfast, potluck dinner or any type of party
- Be Creative – Engage in a type of activity that you would like to do
Tips! Use your local community contacts to kick start your fundraiser, such as your office, church, gym, or school. Engage those that already share a common interest with you.
- How do I get started?
- Click register (link to registration page) to begin your do it yourself fundraiser. You will receive your own personal page and tools to help you maximize your success.
- What steps should I take to maximize donations?
- Go first: Make a donation to your page. Others are more inclined to give when they see that you are dedicated to the cause.
- Get personal: Add a photo and share your story on why you are raising
funds for the Folds of Honor Foundation. By telling your story, your friends and family will feel more connected to the cause.
- Send emails: Use the tools to send emails to your network of contacts, telling them why you are raising funds for the Folds of Honor Foundation and make the ask for donations.
- Get social: Did you know that fundraisers raise 40% more by using social media? Let all of your friends and followers know that you are raising money, and share why the cause is important to you.
- Follow up: Did you know that it takes on average 3 asks to result in one gift? Once you have received a donation, don’t forget to thank your donor.
- How do I spread the word about my fundraiser?
- There are tools within the participant center that will assist you in emailing your contacts to announce your event and ask for donations.
- Consider sending a “Save the Date”for physical events.
- Use your social media networks to drive people to your fundraising page. Create
an event on Facebook on invite all of your friends and Tweet about your campaign.
- How do I send in the money collected at my event?
- Mail your donations within 30 days of your event to the address listed for the Folds of Honor Foundation.
- Are donations tax-deductible?
- Any contribution to the charity qualifies as a deduction under Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code. Payments made to the third party fundraiser to cover expenses are not tax-deductible. Difficulty could arise when an independent, outside organization wishes to raise money for the Folds of Honor Foundation. If the payments are made to this independent organization,
and it is not a qualified organization, the payments will not be deductible for income tax purposes. If the payments are made to the Folds of Honor Foundation, then they qualify – to the extent by law.
- Do you impose any guidelines for the fundraiser?
- We reserve the right to decline association with any activities or third-party fundraisers if we believe the activity may have a negative effect on our reputation.
- All events must comply with federal, state and local laws, including fundraising rules and regulations.
- The activity will be promoted and conducted in a manner to avoid the appearance of the Folds of Honor Foundation endorsing any product, firm, organization, individual or service.
- Our official Folds of Honor Foundation logo should be appropriately used in conjunction with such an activity, but may not be altered in any way.
- The Folds of Honor Foundation operates under the Better Business Bureau guidelines for charitable giving. In compliance with these guidelines, the Folds of Honor Foundation requires full disclosure on all packaging, advertising or promotional materials when funds are raised
- Who should I contact if I need more information?
- If you need assistance with logos or have general questions about creating your own fundraiser, contact us today.